Friday, January 9, 2009

Former B.C. Citizens' Assembly members gear up for 2009 referendum fight...

Voters in British Columbia get a second chance to cast their ballots in a referendum this May on a new proportional representation voting system called Single Transferable Vote.

With this in mind, former members of the B.C. Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform, which in 2004 recommended the new voting system for the province, will gather in Vancouver for a public forum Saturday. Read more about it here.

3 comments:

CuriosityCat said...

It would be useful if this site (and others) could post a list of things people can do to help this initiative pass in May ....

Mark Greenan said...

I am quite certain that there will be a few places coming online in the next few months that give concrete ways people can do to ensure BC-STV passes in May.

However, I should note that the under-resourced nature of electoral reform campaigns means that activities like that may need to be led by dedicated volunteers (like Matt did for MMP!).

Frankly Canadian said...

Thats great, I had forgotten all about that, most people I know support this new system and look forward to seeing it implemented. My belief is that their was not a sufficient amount of education provided by the main stream media, and as a consequence most people had no idea exactly how the new system would work. I am confedent that with the increased support for the Green Party more people will side with the new system, if I remenber correctly nthe vote last time was very close? Anyways thanks for the link and I intend to promote the topic in my small circle of friends.